Are you pullin’ a Kevin McCallister and spending the holidays in DC (home) alone? Whether it’s family on the other side of the world or work that’s keeping you, sometimes it’s just not possible to get home for the holidays. And while that sucks, don’t let it ruin Christmas! Here are nine ways to deck the halls with holiday cheer this Christmas. Whether you decide to pamper yourself, have a nice staycation, or just get away for a few days, Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals.
Treat Yo Self
There’s no better way to celebrate Christmas than by giving yourself a few gifts.
- Start your Christmas off right with brunch at Farmers, Fishers, Bakers. Not a morning person? Treat yourself to lunch or dinner at La Tomate. Either way, you’ll be feelin’ as jolly as St Nick when you’re done.
- Do as the Hebrew do – grab some Chinese food and catch a feature film. Have some you-time for less by using your ID for a much-earned student discount.
- Have a classy, classy Christmas. Stop by the 19th Annual FREE All-Star Jazz Jam on Christmas Day at the Millennium stage of the Kennedy Center. There’s nothing like a Holiday tradition.
Staycation All I Ever Wanted
Take the term Winter Vacation seriously without spending the cash.
- The National Mall is always stunning, but have you ever had it all to yourself? Enjoy the crisp December air, see the National Christmas tree, National Menorah, US Capitol Christmas tree, and Monuments all on one walk.
- Have some fun and cook yourself a feast. If Buddy’s Dessert Breakfast Spaghetti from ‘Elf’ seems too festive, check out these easy to follow video guides to TV’s most desired meals.
- Wanna lose the extra stress lingering from finals? Take advantage of your downtime with a relaxing massage. Talented Touch is open all week and offers 20-30% off for Students!
Gotta’ Get Away
Just because you can’t make it home doesn’t mean you can’t get away.
- With Amtrack, a plethora of affordable busses, and AirBnB almost no East Coast city is inaccessible from DC. Go visit somewhere new for the holidays. May we suggest you find your own white Christmas?
- National Harbor isn’t far, but you’ll feel outta’ this world. Kill two birds with one purchase. Be a tourist at the Gaylord National Resort and experience ICE! – a walkthrough winter wonderland carved from over 2 Million pounds of ice. You’ll never see Rudolph the same again.
- Vacations leave the ordinary, not necessarily your city. Find a new view of DC at one of our Capital’s favorite Bed and Breakfasts. Feel thousands of miles away without the travel costs.